What is thy only comfort in life and death?
That I with body and soul, both in life and death,
- am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Savior Jesus Christ; who
- with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and
- delivered me from all the power of the devil; and
- so preserves me that
- without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea
- that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore,
- by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and
- makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.
How many things are necessary for thee to know, that thou, enjoying this comfort, mayest live and die happily?
- First, how great my sins and miseries are;
- Second, how I may be delivered from all my sins and miseries;
- Third, how I shall express my gratitude to God for such deliverance.